moist choco cake.


just made... a really, really incredible chocolate (very moist) cake.

considered vegan.
I should have let it cook a little longer in the oven, my only fault.

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup vanilla light soymilk (or regular. or you can replace with strongly brewed coffee).


Basically, mix dry. Then mix wet. Then mix dry and wet. Bake in a 8x8 circular pan (or whatever shape) at 350 until a toothpick can be inserted in the center and come out clean (I ended up cooking it about 33 minutes. Thought I should have left it another 4 or 5 minutes).

For the frosting, I sort of tried to follow a recipe, but didn't have a lot of the ingredients, so I improvised, and... it did come out pretty well, just definitely not like it was supposed to. Plus, I'm really happy that I only put maybe... a 1/4 of the amount of frosting made on the actual cake. It sort of dripped on, but surprisingly stuck to.

heat a 1/4 cup applesauce and maybe 2 tsp of oil in a pot.
Add in 1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium while almost constantly stirring for about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, add 1 tsp vanilla. Stir and let sit for 20 minutes.
Beat fairly hard for about 20 or so strokes.
Mine ended up pretty runny and not thick, so I mixed some cornstarch (1 tbsp) with some cold water and stirred into the mixture. I also stirred in a bit of flour. Let sit for another 10 minutes. Then dripped/lightly poured some spoonfulls of the frosting mixture over the cake.
I shredded some white chocolate and sprinkled a bit of powdered sugar on top. I'll post pictures later.

(also, I used dark chocolate coco powder...yum)

http://www.culinate.com/recipes/collections/Culinate%20Kitchen/Desserts/german_chocolate_cake

http://sweettreatsdani.blogspot.com/2009/06/65-gooey-pecan-cake.html

http://www.tastespotting.com/search/chocolate+cake/9

0 comments: